Saturday, April 11, 2009

Quick Hits

Hey guys, I took a quick vacation to the beach for a few days, and I'm not exactly motivated to go back to school or do anything not related to sleeping and being a bum. But if I can't be at the beach, at least the baseball season is finally in full swing to keep me distracted.

  • The Nick Adenhart tragedy is probably one of the most devastating events baseball has faced in a long time. Forget steroids, forget inflated salaries, and all the other stuff that seemed so important just a few days ago. My heart goes out to the Adenhart family, as well as all of the other families effected by the wreck. I also hope Joba Chamberlain is paying very close attention.
  • Trevor Cahill went 5 innings, giving up 2 earned runs, and walking 5 in his first start for the A's earlier this week. Brett Anderson went 6 innings last night, giving up 5 earned runs during the second inning, but otherwise pitched well.
  • Clayton Kershaw pitched 5 strong innings, giving up just one earned run and striking out 6.
  • Jack McGeary debuted at A ball last night, going 7 innings and giving up 1 earned run with 8 strikeouts.
  • Madison Bumgarner also made his debut last night at advanced A ball, giving up just 2 hits with 5 strikeouts in 6 innings.
  • Tommy Hanson went 4 innings at AAA, striking out 10.
  • It's a bit early to make much of minor league hitting performances, but Pedro Alvarez, Josh Reddick, Yonder Alonso, Justin Smoak, and all of the other well known position players have had at least one impressive game thus far.
More to follow.

2 comments:

James said...

Same here man... At least we get Easter Monday off tomorrow. I hit a few beaches in Miami and NC. I'm tan but have 0 motivation for going back to the grind.

The Adenhart story really put a damper on my trip. It's really unfortunate.

Anyways, what do you think of this comparison?

Tommy Hanson vs. Aaron Harang.

Their deliveries are comparable and their FB/CB are pretty similar too.

Could you run a quick comp?

Thanks and hope u had a rejuvenating break

James

Adam G said...

Sure thing on the Hanson/Harang comparison. Seems like an interesting and promising match-up.

I still don't feel like doing a thing, and I really wish I could watch some games other than the Braves (not that I don't like watching the Braves, I just would like to see some other teams, especially in the AL).