Friday, February 1, 2008

Dallas McPherson Signing

With news that the Marlins have signed Dallas McPherson, I spent some time trying to find out where he is in terms of his recovery from back surgery. If he's healthy he could put up some big power numbers, but he's been in the DL for so long that very few people are giving him much chance of getting above 100 at-bats this year. So far I haven't found any information to indicate if he's healthy or not, but after reading up on the type of surgery he had, I'd say there's a good chance that he'll still have problems with his back. I'll be really surprised if he makes over 300 plate appearances, and that's if he can even win a starting or platoon job with the Marlins.

The Marlins are only betting $425,ooo on McPherson, which makes me think that they are just as skeptical about his return as everybody else. If he was healthy and able to prove that his back was doing well then I think a contract closer to $1 million would be in order considering his potential. But it looks like McPherson had to settle for basically the league minimum, which means even he isn't sure of what to expect.

No comments: