Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Home Run Heroes of 2008

Yesterday I spent some time checking out the home run data for 2008 posted on Hit Tracker Online.   Here's a quick list of the 10 longest home runs last year, as well as the 10 home runs with the fastest speed off the bat.


Pretty interesting list.  I was surprised by some of the names (Gabe Gross?), but it looks like Adam Dunn pretty much had the Mammoth Home Run title on lockdown last year.  

Another list I looked over was the average standard distance per home run posted by each player.  Here's the top 10 list for that category.

Once again, a few surprising names on the list, but Adam Dunn retained the overall Home Run King title.  Votto and Napoli both did very well for themselves, and Torii Hunter somehow got on the list at #3 which was a bit of a shock.  

I was interested to see where Chris Davis came in on the list, but for some reason he wasn't included.  He averaged a standard distance of 403 feet, which would have put him at #14 right behind Vlad Guerrero, Rick Ankiel, and Chipper Jones, and right in front of Jim Thome, but I think there was an at-bat limit or something of that nature.  

Anyways, I thought it was a fun way to blow 30 mintues, so check out the site if you're interested.  I'm guessing that Dunn won't have quite the same success with Washington as he did in Cincinatti, so my money is on someone like Prince Fielder or Josh Hamilton to take the title of Home Run King in 2009.




...Read more

No comments: